Wafer Level Chip Scale Package
MCSP Inc. has developed a proprietary wafer-level chip scale packaging technology that meets the size, performance, cost, and quality requirements of current and future advanced integrated circuit products. The MCSP technology employs a glass sheet, as substrate, that is attached to a semiconductor wafer forming a redistribution layer. The redistribution layer connects the fine-pitch bond pads on the semiconductor wafer to large-pitch pads on the glass sheet. Vias are drilled in the glass sheet, and metal traces are patterned for trace interconnects. The metallized traces and bond pads on the glass sheet can be prepared and tested before attachment to a wafer. The glass sheet is then attached to the wafer with optical adhesive. An additional metal layer is deposited into the open vias and traces, after additional processing steps solder balls are attached. The completed wafer-glass structure is sawn and diced into individual chip-scale packages.
The MCSP product is superior to other wafer-level chip scale packaging (WLCSP) products because of its highly characterized and repeatable manufacturing process, streamlined development flow, high reliability, higher design flexibility, lower costs (including lower NRE) and a shorter assembly cycle time to market with lower risk. The company has filed several patents on the MCSP technology with a technology roadmap leading into highly advanced products.
Glass Formation License
The company provides WLCSP technologies to the semiconductor industry while realizing revenue through licensing its technology. The Glass Formation License is limited to large corporate "sight holders" who have the structure and financial backing for the Glass Substrate Process. This license covers the proprietary via formation, development of the metallized glass substrate, passive component thin-film and thick-film deposition, and testing capability.
Glass Lamination License
Glass-to-Wafer Lamination Process License incorporates the backend process of wafer/substrate attachment, wafer pad and metal trace interconnection, and next level input/output. Glass-to-Wafer technology licenses include a nominal license purchase fee plus royalties. These licenses are targeted for IC manufacturers, subcontract assemblers, and substrate suppliers. Non-Recurring Engineering Charge (NRE) is charged for packaging development services, which include glass substrate design, prototype development, and qualification. At production, the customer is charged a price, based on volume, for each wafer assembled into packages.
MCSP also offers their services to aid customers in the development of advanced wafer level chip scale- packaging technologies. Our services can encompass complete turn-key solutions or a portion of production & testing done at our facilities. Our strong technical and manufacturing background provides unrevealed advantages for R&D, small runs and economies of scale production assemblies.
Rapid Turn Design and Fabrication
* Small to large volume manufacturing in the USA or Asia
* World-class industry leading design expertise
* Full suite of standard & custom design tools including custom tools to be able to effectively model both
over all package design parameters as well as individual component level performance * ISO 9000:2000 & Six-Sigma leading quality control program
* Unmatched wafer-level volume testing and metrology
* Ability to perform module and component level functional testing
* Experienced with test design and rapid-prototyping
* Expertise in testing hardware integration
* Organic and Inorganic bonding
* Passive component integration
* Experience in bonding dissimilar materials
* Precision thin-film metallization
* Experience with various stacking techniques - Wafer-to-Wafer Bonding
* Volume proven manufacturing techniques
* Highly managed supply chain
* Rigorous Statistical Process Control (SPC) discipline
* Incorporating Lean Manufacturing Principles
* ISO 9000: 2000 & Six-Sigma leading quality control program